Latest News from Utility RentalsKeeping you up to speed on renting in schools
Autumn Harvest: 4 hearty seasonal recipes for schools
The transition between summer and winter and the accompanying dip in temperature can take its toll on kids’ energy levels.
So, we’ve put together a list of delicious, nutritious autumnal meals crammed-full of essential vitamins and nutrients to help your students stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed – no matter the weather!
Here’s a round-up of our favourite autumn recipe ideas that are ideal for school canteens.
Hearty seasonal recipes for schools
Let your little folks tuck into these fantastic autumn recipes to give them a much-needed energy-boost when the days start getting colder:
Soup is an autumn classic. Healthy, good value and warming – what more could you ask for?
There are so many flavour combinations to cook up in your canteens, the list is almost endless.
Try out some new ideas, like:
- Roast carrot and fennel
- Pumpkin and ginger
- Parsnip, sage and white (cannellini) bean
2) Stews and casseroles
Stews are fantastic all-rounders and can often be made in one pot (bonus)! They’re just the thing to warm up your little folks on a chilly autumn day.
Experiment with exciting combinations like:
- Kale and sausage
- Sweet potato and bean
- Cod, potato and spring onion
- Chicken, tomato and butternut squash
- Ratatouille (vegetable stew)
3) Vegetarian delights
Autumn is a great season for vegetables. So, make the most of nature’s harvest by cooking sensational vegetarian and vegan-friendly treats for your students!
You could try:
- Chunky autumn harvest delight: A tantalising veggie combination featuring carrots, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, spices (thyme, oregano, sage, rosemary, garlic), maple syrup, spinach, apples and jewel-like cranberries. Simply delicious! (For full recipe, see https://healthyschoolrecipes.com/recipes/harvest-delight/.)
- Hearty powerhouse chill: An instant-classic, combining carrots, red bell peppers, chipotle, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, black beans, sweet corn, chilli powder and cumin. Serve with healthy quinoa, or rice – yum! (For full recipe, see https://healthyschoolrecipes.com/recipes/minnesota-smokin-powerhouse-chili/.)
No recipe collection would be complete without puddings. And, with an abundance of fresh fruit available, autumn is the ideal time for indulging in sweet treats.
Here are just a few suggestions:
- Apple and almond crumble: Crumble is a pudding staple that you really can’t go wrong with, as kids and adults just can’t get enough of it. Add in some blackberries if you fancy and serve with cream, custard or ice-cream – comfort food at its best.
- Pumpkin pie: An American classic, this is sure to go down well with kids around Halloween! Serve with the traditional American accompaniment of ice-cream.
- Pear and blackberry rice pudding: For a fruity twist on a childhood favourite, try adding some seasonal fruit, a little honey and some cinnamon to elevate this dessert from ordinary to extraordinary!
These awesome autumn recipes will only taste their best if your school canteen’s equipment is up to the job.
Our range of cookers, fridges and freezers and dishwashers is more robust and reliable than ever, and is sure to make school lunchtimes run smoothly. Our unique flexible rental agreements also come with a range of advantages, including no upfront costs.
If you need to upgrade your school’s cooking equipment, get a little help today from Utility Rentals!